Who Can Benefit By Using Western Union?
While Western Union’s cost-effectiveness leaves room for improvement, it lets you choose from different transfer and payment methods. You may benefit by using the services of this company if you want to:
- Send money to a cash pickup location
- Send money to an inmate in an American correctional facility
- Send money to a U.S. military base outside of the country
- Pay bills online, in person, or over the phone
- Purchase money orders
- Get a prepaid card
At a Glance – Western Union Money Transfer Services
Western Union lets you send money to most countries the world over and it lets you register from just about any country. Depending on where you live, you may initiate your transfer online, over the phone, or in person. Cash pickup might be an available transfer method, although this depends on the destination country. While Western Union might not be the best money transfer service provider out there, its array of services manages to attract a significant number of customers.
Check the corresponding table to get a quick picture of what you may expect when dealing with this overseas money transfer company.
- User Rating
- Transfer Type
- Regular Payments
- Mobile App
- Min Transfer Amount
Details About Western Union
Sending money from one country to another requires paying attention to different factors, and this Western Union money transfer review is divided into sections and subsections accordingly.
Currency exchange fees that Western Union charges depend on multiple factors. These include where you live, the destination country, the transfer amount, the transfer method, and the mode of payment. The table below gives you an indication of how this company’s pricing works, and it uses sending money from the U.S. as an example.
Sending money to India
|Transfer Amount||Transfer Method||Payment Method||Fees|
|$500||Bank account||Bank account||$0|
|Cash pickup||Bank account||$5|
|$2,000||Bank account||Bank account||$0|
|Cash pickup||Bank account||$10|
Sending money to Australia
|Transfer Amount||Transfer Method||Payment Method||Fees|
|$500||Bank account||Bank account||$5|
|Cash Pickup||Bank account||$21|
|$2,000||Bank account||Bank account||$0|
|Cash pickup||Bank account||$31|
Paying for your transfer using a bank account is typically more cost effective than paying using a card. Transfers to cash pickup centers tend to cost more than transferring money to bank accounts.
Supported Countries and Currencies
The list of Western Union supported countries is as follows:
|Antigua and Barbuda||Macedonia|
|Bosnia and Herzegonia||Mongolia|
|British Virgin Island||Morocco|
|Cape Verde||New Zealand|
|Central African Republic||Nicaragua|
|Colombia||Northern Mariana Islands|
|Congo, Democratic Republic||Oman|
|Croatia||Papua New Guinea|
|El Salvador||Saint Kitts and Nevis|
|Equatorial Guinea||Saint Lucia|
|Eritrea||Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Ethiopia||Sao Tome and Principe|
|Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)||Saudi Arabia|
|French Guiana||Sierra Leone|
|Iceland||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Ireland||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Jamaica||United Arab Emirates|
|Kryghyz-Republic||Virgin Islands (US)|
Western Union provides its live digital services in 40 countries, and its 40 websites work in connecting customers spread across more than 200 countries and territories. It operates 18 in-country apps, of which six offer multi-channel payment alternatives.
The time your transfer takes to process depends on the mode of payment, the transfer method, and the destination country. Paying for your transfer using a debit or credit card and choosing cash pickup as the transfer method comes with options of “Money in Minutes” and “Next Day.” If you pay for a cash pickup transfer using your bank account, the transfer may take up to four business days.
Transfers to bank accounts may take one to seven business days, depending on the destination country and whether you pay using a card or a bank account.
- International money transfers. You can send money to overseas bank accounts or cash pickup centers online, in person, or over the phone.
- Bill payments. You may use the services of Western Union to pay utility bills or make payments toward your rent or mortgage. You can do this online, over the phone, or in person.
- Transfers to inmates. Sending money to inmates in American correctional facilities is simple.
- Money orders. You may purchase money orders from participating Western Union agent locations.
- Prepaid cards. You can get the Western Union NetSpend Prepaid MasterCard without a checking account or credit history. You may use this card to send or receive money and for direct deposits. The card comes with an optional savings account that gives you the ability to earn interest.
Western Union does not provide hedging tools such as forward contracts and market orders yet.
- Getting started. You may initiate your overseas money transfer online, over the phone, or in person.
- Multilingual country-specific websites. Western Union operates dedicated websites for different countries in various languages.
- Transfer limits. Transfer limits depend on your transfer history, where you live, the destination country, the mode of payment, the transfer method, and agent limits.
- Credit card payments. Residents of the U.S. may make payments using Visa, Mastercard, or Discover credit cards.
- Apps. The company provides apps for devices that run on iOS and Android.
Western Union Exchange Rates
Western Union informs you of the exchange rate before you finalize your transfer. In some cases, the exchange rate might vary depending on the transfer method you choose. You may get an indication existing exchange rates by using the Western Union online currency calculator.
When you compare currency exchange rates offered by Western Union with those that you get through most banks, you will notice that this company fares better a majority of the times. However, given the markups that come with Western Union exchange rates, there is a good chance of your finding a better deal if you take a look at exchange rates offered by its competitors. As a result, this section of the Western Union money transfer review does not rate the company particularly well.
How to Sign Up with Western Union?
You may register for a Western Union account by submitting a simple online application. Details you need to provide include your complete name, date of birth, email address, residential address, and phone number. The company activates your account after it verifies your credentials.
How Do You Send Money Through Western Union?
Once your account is active, you may send money online, in person, or over the phone. Details you need to provide depend on whether you are sending money to a bank account or a cash pickup location.
- Bank account. You will need to provide the recipient’s complete name and bank account number as well as the name of the bank and its ABA / Sort / SWIFT / BSB code or IBAN number.
- Cash pickup. You will need to provide the recipient’s complete name and location. To collect transferred funds the recipient will need to provide a transaction reference number along with a valid government issued ID.
Western Union will process your transfer only after it receives your payment. You may pay for your transfer using a bank account, a debit card, or a credit card.
Additional Information About Western Union
- All Western Union websites use high levels of encryption to safeguard client information.
- An online tool gives you easy means to look for Western Union agent locations.
- The company has the required licenses to operate in the countries where it is present.
While several Western Union reviews written by the company’s customers have good things to say about its customer service, some are of the opinion that it can do better. On Trustpilot, it gets an average score of 7.6 out of 10.
Residents of the U.S. may contact the company via online chat, email, regular mail, or over the phone. Its phone numbers are listed in the table below.
Its mailing address is:
Western Union Financial Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 6036
Englewood, CO 80155
Now that you have reached the end of this Western Union money transfer review, deciding if this company is right for you should be easy. Remember that there are several overseas money transfer companies out there, so running a thorough comparison may work in your favor.
Western Union Review Updates
Western Union is a U.S.-based company that provides a range of services, including facilitating overseas money transfers. It lets you send money to bank accounts and cash pickup locations, and you may pay for your transfer in different ways. This company serves individuals and businesses. It supports fund transfers to more than 200 countries and territories.
The origins of Western Union date back to 1851, when the New York and Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company began operations. It merged with the New York & Western Union Telegraph Company in 1856, and the new entity was called the Western Union Telegraph Company. This U.S.-based financial services and communications company dominated the telegraph industry till the late 19th century, and it discontinued its famed telegram service only in 2006.
It its current avatar, the company has several divisions. Customers may use its services for making overseas money transfers, purchasing money orders, making business payments, sending money to inmates in American correctional facilities, or paying bills. The company provides a prepaid card as well.
Western Union is among the few leading overseas money transfer companies that let you send money to cash pickup locations. It also lets you send money directly to bank accounts.
If you are wondering whether you should use the services of this company to send money overseas, reading this Western Union review completely is in your best interest.