A number of people from Turkey who live in other countries send money back home for different reasons. Money enters the country through other quarters as well. For instance, someone might want to pay for a vacation in Turkey in advance, and someone else might want to pay for a purchase made online. No matter why you wish to send money to Turkey, using the services of a dependable service provider is important.
Transfer Money to Turkey
- User Rating
- Transfer Type
- Regular Payments
- Mobile App
- Min Transfer Amount
- Two Transfers Fee Free
- 1 - 3 Days
- $250 / £100 / €250
Currency Corridors & Swift Codes
Currency Symbol and Swift Codes
The Turkish lira (TRY) is the official currency of Turkey as well as the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. One lira is divided into 100 kurus. The value of the lira deteriorated considerably from 2015 to 2018, dropping to 4.5 USD/TRY by May 2018.
If you wish to transfer money to a Turkish bank account, you will need the bank’s SWIFT code. Here are SWIFT codes of some prominent banks in Turkey.
|Turkiye is Bankasi||Istanbul||ISBKTRISXXX|
|Turkiye Garanti Bankasi||Istanbul||TGASTRI1XXX|
Popular Currency Corridors
A considerable amount of money flows in and out of Turkey at regular intervals. In 2016, more than U.S. $1.18 billion was sent as remittances to Turkey from other countries. In the same year, over U.S. $4.34 billion made its way out of Turkey as remittances.
The corresponding tables show you how much money flowed across Turkey’s popular currency corridors in 2016. The numbers are in U.S. dollars.
How Do I Compare Companies When Sending Money to Turkey?
When narrowing down on a company to carry out a money transfer to Turkey, you need to compare your alternatives based on different factors.
- Cost effectiveness. An easy way to find the most cost effective way to send money to Turkey is to look at how much money will reach the recipient at the end of the transfer. This way, you do not have to worry about the fees you need to pay or the exchange rate you get.
- Turnaround time. If you plan to transfer money to a Turkish bank account, the process might take up to five working days. This depends on the company you select, your country of residence, and the receiving bank. To transfer money to Turkey in haste, consider turning to a company that has cash pickup centers in the country. Most such transfers tend to process almost immediately.
- Modes of payment. You may pay for your money transfer to Turkey using your bank account no matter which company you select. While not all let you pay using debit and credit cards, some even accept payments through methods such Google Pay, Apple Pay, ACH, Interac, POLi, SOFORT, iDEAL, CHAPS, and BACS.
- Customer support. You may get local phone support depending on the company you select. Most companies provide online support via email or chat, or both. To find out what previous customers have to say about companies you shortlist, turn to review-based platforms such as Trustpilot and Feefo.
How to Transfer Money to Turkey?
Depending on the service provider you select, you may begin the process of sending money to Turkey in different ways.
- Online. While your bank might let you send money to Turkey using its online system, you might be better off turning to a specialist overseas money transfer company.
- Over the phone. Some of the top companies let you send money to Turkey over the phone. You can even get access to a dedicated currency broker depending on the company you select.
- In-person. Walking into the local branch of your bank might be one way of sending money to Turkey in person. However, consider comparing its cost effective and speed with companies that have offices or agent locations in your vicinity.
Mustafa had moved from Turkey to Germany as a student. He found a suitable job after he completed his studies so he continued living in Germany. Once he started making enough money, he decided to start sending some to his parents, who still lived in Turkey. He turned to a popular German bank for the first few transfers, after which he compared it with a leading money transfer company. The corresponding table shows you what he found.
|Bank||Money Transfer Service|
|Exchange rate||EUR 1 = TRY 5.4482||EUR 1 = TRY 5.6211|
|Transfer fee||EUR 20||EUR 0|
|Amount received for EUR 2,000||TRY 10,787.44||TRY 11,242.20|
|Transfer time||2 to 5 days||1 to 3 days|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Bank account|
|Difference of||TRY 454.76|
Mustafa found good reason to switch from the bank to the money transfer company. In doing so, his parents ended up getting a little extra money each time, and it got to them sooner. Besides, the company also gave Mustafa the option of scheduling his transfers.
Cash Pickup Locations in Turkey
You may turn to popular overseas money transfer companies such as Western Union, MoneyGram, Ria, or WorldRemit if you want to send money to a cash pickup center in Turkey.
|Western Union in Turkey|
|Istanbul, Atilim Seyahat, Kemalpasa Mah 18 Sekbanlar Sok Sekban, Apt No 16 B, Istanbul||Hotel Bulvar Palas, Ataturk Bulvari No 36, Istanbul|
|Ankara Cabak Finans, Drmehmet Ali Altin C Akdere M, Ankara||Kunduz Iletisim Haci Bayram Mah Anafartalar Caddesi, No 3 64 Altindag, Ankara|
|MoneyGram in Turkey|
|Istanbul Kuveyt Turk Bank - Kavacik, Fatih Sultan Mehmet Cad Otakci Citimazi No 1 Ak Is Merkezi, Istanbul||Kuveyt Turk Bank, Ankara Cd N 21 Efe Ismerk Sigli Kurtkoy, Istanbul|
|Ankara Gonder-Al Guzey Iletisim Hamamonu Talatpasa Bulvari 134 B Altindag, Samanpazari, Ankara||Mustafa Ismail Acar, Hanimeli Sok. 14/D, Korkutreis Mah, Ankara|
Safety Tips for Picking Up Cash in Turkey
Petty crimes such as bag snatching and pickpocketing take place around major tourist destinations in Istanbul. When picking up a large amount of cash, consider taking someone you trust along. Try not to carry too much cash and do not show signs of affluence.
Do not accept food or drinks from strangers and do not leave your drink unattended. Do not accept lifts from strangers and always use registered yellow taxis.
What Information Do I Need to Transfer Money to Turkey?
The information you need to carry out a money transfer to Turkey depends on the transfer method you select.
- Bank account. To transfer money to a Turkish bank account, you will need the recipient’s name, an account number, an IBAN, the receiving bank’s name, and the receiving bank’s SWIFT code.
- Cash pickup center. You will need the recipient’s complete name as well as the location of the cash pickup center from where the recipient plans to collect the money. The recipient may get the money by presenting a reference number and an acceptable form of photo ID.
Regulations When Transferring Money To and From Turkey
There is no limit to how much foreign currency you may bring into Turkey. However, any amount over €10,000 or TRY 25,000 being taken into or out of the country needs to be declared to the relevant authorities. Foreign investors may freely convert and repatriate profits generated in Turkish lira.
According to a recent amendment made by the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey to the Decree No. 32 on the Protection of the Value of Turkish Currency, individuals from Turkey cannot borrow in foreign currency, whether from foreign financial institutions or Turkish banks.
Sending money to Turkey can be simple, cost effective, and quick, provided you take some time to compare your alternatives. Look for ongoing promotional offers as they may lead to added savings.
International Money Transfer Offers
- 658 WorldFirst Reviews
WorldFirst top money transfer provider
Business money transfer specialists
Online seller support
Global multi-currency accounts
Account manager available
No more fees!
- OFFER: Guaranteed low 0.5% exchange rate margin
- 29,961 Reviews
Leading global money transfer provider
Business fund transfers
Cash pick up available
Transfer money instantly to Mobile Money accounts
Truly global money transfer provider
- OFFER: First 3 Transfers FEE FREE!