People send money to Poland for different reasons, and from different parts of the world. While someone might want to send money to a family member or a friend, someone else outside of the country might have to make payments toward an existing Polish loan. No matter what the reason, sending money to Poland has simplified considerably over the last two decades.
Transfer Money to Poland
- User Rating
- Transfer Type
- Regular Payments
- Mobile App
- Min Transfer Amount
- Two Transfers Fee Free
- 1 - 3 Days
- $250 / £100 / €250
Currency Corridors & Swift Codes
Currency Symbol and Swift Codes
What currency do they use in Poland? The Polish zloty (PLN) is the official currency of Poland, and one modern zloty is divided into 100 groszy. The country’s currency underwent redenomination because of inflation in the early 1990s. In January 1995, the new zloty (PLN) replaced the old złotych (PLZ). The currency has stabilized since then, with its rate fluctuating from three to four zloty for a U.S. dollar.
Although Poland is part of the European Union (EU), it has not adopted the euro yet. According to terms of the EU’s Treaty of Accession, Poland is obliged to replace the zloty with the euro, although there is not set date of when this might happen.
Banking institutions in Poland rely on SWIFT codes to facilitate overseas money transfers, and given below are SWIFT codes of some prominent banks in the region.
|PKO Bank Polski||Warsaw||PBKOPLPWSEC|
Popular Currency Corridors
Money flows in and out of Poland regularly. In 2016, people from other parts of the world sent more than U.S. $6.7 billion to Poland in remittances. Over U.S. $1.54 billion made its way out of Poland in remittances during the same period.
The tables below give you an indication of the popular currency routes that involve Poland. The figures are in U.S. dollars and are from 2016.
How Do I Compare Companies When Sending Money to Poland?
Whether you want to send money to Poland from the UK, the U.S., Germany, Canada, or any other country, comparing your alternatives requires that you pay attention to the same basic aspects. The same factors also require your attention if you plan to transfer money from Poland to the UK, France, Germany, or any other place.
- Cost. How much your transfer ends up costing depends on the exchange rate you get and the fees it attracts. While a seemingly great exchange rate might be offset by steep fees, the reverse holds true as well. As a result, simply look at how much money will get to the recipient at the end of the transfer.
- Speed. To send money to Poland in a hurry, consider turning to a company that has a physical presence in the country. This is because transfers to cash pickup locations tend to go through almost immediately. If you want to send money to a bank account in Poland, the process may take two to five working days. This depends on the company you work with and the recipient’s bank.
- Ways to pay. An easy and commonly used method to pay for a money transfer to Poland is through a bank account. Not all companies let you pay using debit or credit cards. However, there are a few that even accept payments via region-specific methods such as SOFORT, iDEAL, and POLi.
- Customer support. Look for ways you may contact the company you select ahead of time. Available options include phone support as well as support via email and chat. To find out what previous customers have to say, turn to review-based websites such as Trustpilot and Feefo.
How to Transfer Money to Poland?
When sending money to Poland, you get to start the process in different ways.
- Online. Turning to your bank’s online platform for a wire transfer to Poland might not be the best idea because most banks do not fare well when it comes to cost effectiveness and speed. If you want to send money to Poland online, you might be better off using the services of a specialist money transfer company.
- Over the phone. Sending money to Poland over the phone is possible although not all companies provide this service. Depending on the company you select, you may even get access to a personal currency dealer.
- In-person. While your bank may let you send money to Poland in person, compare its services with money transfer companies that have cash pickup centers located in your vicinity.
Bartek moved to the UK because he found a suitable job there, while his parents and younger sister continued living in Poland. His sister was still in school, so he made sure he kept sending her some money regularly. Sending money through the bank he banked with in the UK was an option, but he decided to compare it with the top money transfer companies. This is what he found.
|Bank||Money Transfer Service|
|Exchange rate||GBP 1 = 4.5394||GBp 1 = PLN 4.7618|
|Transfer fee||GBP 15||GBP 0|
|Amount received for GBP 1,500||PLN 6,741.00||PLN 7,142.70|
|Transfer time||2 to 5 days||1 to 2 days|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Bank account|
|Difference of||PLN 401.7|
Using the services of the money transfer company instead of the bank resulted in Bartek’s sister getting some extra money each time. In addition, he could lock in exchange rates for up to six months.
Cash Pickup Locations in Poland
Sending money to a cash pickup location in Poland is easy because several top money transfer companies such as Western Union, MoneyGram, and Ria have a presence in this country.
|Western Union in Poland|
|Warsaw 1 Minute, Niepodleglosci Naruszewicza, Metro Wierzbno 34517, Warszawa||PKO Bank Polski, Al Ken 105, Oddzial 34 W Warszawie Warszawa|
|Gdansk 1 Minute, Al Grunwaldzka 472 Olivia Business En 54903 Gdansk||PKO Bank Polski, Stary Rynek Oliwski 21 Oddzial 20 W Gdansku Gdansk|
|MoneyGram in Poland|
|Warsaw Ruch Marszalkowska 84/92 Warszawa||Up Nowogrodska 45 Warszawa|
|Gdansk Ruch Targ. Weglowy 27 Gdansk||Kantor Union Standard Swietego Ducha 13/17 Gdansk|
Safety Tips for Picking Up Cash in Poland
Instances of violent crime in Poland are few and far in between. However, instances of bag snatching and pickpocketing are common in and around large cities. Thieves operate in organized groups at train stations, on public transportation, around tourist destinations, in busy markets, and near hotels. The Warsaw Chopin Airport tram and bus routes also experience some instances of petty crime.
Remain particularly vigilant if you are travelling by train at night. When in the cabin, make sure you lock its door from inside. Do not leave your baggage unattended at any time. Most instances of pick-pocketing take place when passengers are boarding or disembarking.
If you drive in Poland, make sure the doors are locked and the windows are rolled up when you stop at traffic lights. Gangs have been known to trouble foreigners based on race and sexual orientation. Instances of card skimming are not uncommon.
What Information Do I Need to Transfer Money to Poland?
The information you need when sending money to Poland depends on the desired transfer method.
- Transfer to a bank account. You will need the recipient’s complete name, a bank account number, the receiving bank’s name, and the receiving bank’s SWIFT code.
- Transfer to a cash pickup location. You will need to select a location from where the recipient will collect the transferred money and you will have to provide the recipient’s complete name. The recipient may collect the money by presenting a reference number and an acceptable form of ID.
Regulations When Transferring Money To and From Poland
The Polish zloty is a free-flowing currency and there are no restrictions on its transfer to and from the country. The Narodowy Bank Polski (the central bank of Poland) administers the country’s payment systems. If you transfer more than EUR 15,000 in or out of the country, it is reported to European Central Bank (ECB). When leaving the country, you need to declare any amount over EUR 10,000.
Now that you know of the different aspects that require your attention when sending money to Poland, take time to compare your options well. Look for ongoing promotional offers as they may lead to additional savings.
International Money Transfer Offers
- 747 Feefo Reviews
WorldFirst top money transfer provider
Business money transfer specialists
Online seller support
Global multi-currency accounts
Account manager available
No more fees!
- OFFER: Guaranteed low 0.5% exchange rate margin
- 29,961 Reviews
Leading global money transfer provider
Business fund transfers
Cash pick up available
Transfer money instantly to Mobile Money accounts
Truly global money transfer provider
- OFFER: First 3 Transfers FEE FREE!