People send money to Netherlands from different parts of the world for varied reasons. While a native of Netherlands who lives elsewhere might want to send some money back home to a family member, someone else might want to send money to Netherlands because of a business-related transaction. No matter why you want to transfer money to Netherlands, selecting a service provider that suits your needs is important.
Transfer Money to Netherlands
- User Rating
- Transfer Type
- Regular Payments
- Mobile App
- Min Transfer Amount
- Two Transfers Fee Free
- 1 - 3 Days
- $250 / £100 / €250
Currency Corridors & Swift Codes
Currency Symbol and Swift Codes
What currency does the Netherlands use or what currency does Holland use? The Dutch guilder (NLG) was the officially used currency in Netherlands until 2002. Since 2002, the euro (EUR) has been used as the country’s official currency. From 1999 to 2002, the guilder functioned as a subunit of the euro. One euro is divided into 100 cents.
If you want to transfer money to a bank account in Netherlands, you will need the bank’s SWIFT code. Here are SWIFT codes on some popular banks in Netherlands.
|ABN AMRO Bank||Amsterdam||ABNANL2AMEL|
|NIBC Bank||Hen Haag||DNIBNL2GTG2|
Popular Currency Corridors
A considerable amount of money enters and leaves Netherlands every year. In 2016, more than U.S. $1.41 billion was sent as remittances to Netherlands from other countries, and over U.S. $5.3 billion made its way out of the country.
The corresponding tables give you an idea of the amount of money that flowed across the country’s popular currency corridors in 2016.
How Do I Compare Companies When Sending Money to Netherlands?
Several companies let you send money to Holland or Netherlands. Since not all operate in the same manner, you need to pay attention to different aspects to find a suitable alternative.
- Cost of the transfer. When you send money to Netherlands you might need to pay some kind of fees and your transfer will attract a specific exchange rate. Since both tend to vary from one company to the next, simply looking at how much money the recipient stands to receive is the ideal way to go.
- Turnaround time. When you transfer money to a bank account in Netherlands, it may take up to five working days to process. The actual turnaround time depends on where you live, the service provider you choose, and the recipient’s bank. If you send money to a cash pickup location, the recipient may collect the transferred funds almost straight away.
- Payment methods. You may pay for your transfer using your bank account no matter which company you select. Finding companies that accept payments via debit and credit cards is not difficult. Some companies even let their customers pay using different region-specific methods such as SOFORT, iDEAL, POLi, and ACH.
- Customer service. Pay particular attention to this aspect if you plan to transfer money to Netherlands every now and again because you might need assistance at some point. How you may contact a customer service representative depends on the service provide you select, and your options include online and over the phone. Review-based websites such as Trustpilot and Feefo give you means to determine how different companies fare in the real world.
How to Transfer Money to Netherlands?
You may send money to Netherlands in different ways, so get started using the method that suits you best.
- Online. You may transfer money to Netherlands online from anywhere at practically any time. While several banks let their customers carry out online transfers, you may be better off turning to a company that specializes in overseas fund transfers.
- Over the phone. You may transfer money to Netherlands by speaking to a company’s representative over the phone, if you so choose. You might even get access to a dedicated currency broker depending on the company you select.
- In-person. Between banks and money transfer companies that operate out of physical locations, the latter tend to fare better when it comes to cost effectiveness and speed.
David and his wife planned to take a vacation in Netherlands. He figured he might be able to save some money to getting in touch with the hotel they had selected directly. Upon speaking with the hotel’s manager, he got a reasonable discount. He also got the option of making the payment from Canada, so he did not have to worry about it later. While the total he was required to pay stood at around CAD 3,700, he decided to send CAD 4,000 because he knew there would be additional costs to cover.
Using his local Canadian bank was an option, but David decided to compare it with a leading overseas money transfer company. The findings of his comparison are listed in the corresponding table.
|Bank||Money Transfer Service|
|Exchange rate||CAD 1 = EUR 0.5992||CAD 1 = EUR 0.6443|
|Transfer fee||CAD 30||CAD 0|
|Amound received for CAD 4,000||EUR 2,378.84||EUR 2,577.20|
|Transfer time||2 to 5 days||1 to 2 days|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Bank account|
|Difference of||EUR 198.38|
David was glad he ran a comparison before he made the payment. By using the money transfer company instead of the bank, the hotel ended up receiving close to €200 more, which added to their holiday’s budget.
Cash Pickup Locations in Netherlands
If you want to send money to Netherlands quickly, transferring it to a cash pickup center is one way to go about the process. Some of the top companies that have agent networks in Netherlands include Ria, Western Union, and MoneyGram.
|Ria in Netherlands|
|Amsterdam Pinoy Food Quellijnstraat 57h Amsterdam||Almughirah Telecenter V.O.F. Van Woustraat 201 Amsterdam|
|Rotterdam Ria Rotterdam 1ste Middellandstraat 56 Rotterdam||Skyway Communication Nieuwe Binnenweg 319A Rotterdam|
|Western Union in Netherlands|
|Amsterdam Sarra Phone Burg Van Leeuwenlaan 65 Bd Amsterdam||GWK Travelex Kalverstraat 150 Amsterdam|
|Rotterdam Gogo Tabak Coolsingel 20 Rotterdam||The Gallery Shop Plaza 29 Rotterdam|
Safety Tips for Picking Up Cash in Netherlands
Instances of violent crime in Netherlands are rare. However, petty crimes such as bag snatching and pickpocketing tend to take place in and around Amsterdam as well as other big cities. Tourists are commonly targeted by thieves so it is important that you exercise basic precautions at all times.
Thieves are known to operate in gangs on trams as well as trains, where distraction is often used as a tactic to divert the attention of victims. Keep your belongings carefully when in restaurants, cafes, bars, or pubs, as they can be stolen when you are not looking. Do not leave jackets or bags hanging from the backs of chairs.
Some criminals use false police identities to trick foreigners into handing over money and cards. If you encounter such a situation, make sure you ask for identity and check it thoroughly.
What Information Do I Need to Transfer Money to Netherlands?
You will need to provide different kinds on information when you want to transfer money to Netherlands, and it varies depending on how you want the money to get to the recipient.
- To a bank account. The information you need includes the recipient’s name and bank account number as well as the receiving bank’s name and SWIFT code.
- To a cash pickup center. Get the recipient to identify a suitable cash pickup center because you will need to provide this information along with the sender’s complete name. The recipient can collect the money by presenting a valid form of ID along with a transaction or reference number.
Regulations When Transferring Money To and From Netherlands
As a part of the European Union, Netherlands does not have its own currency controls or regulations. The Financial Intelligence Unit of De Nederlandsche Bank (the central bank of the Netherlands) is responsible for overseeing the country’s payments systems. The European Central Bank (ECB) sets the region’s single monetary policy.
There is no limit to how much money you may transfer in or out of Netherlands. However, if you transfer more than €10,000 to or from the country, it needs to be declared to the relevant authorities.
Make sure you compare the top money transfer companies when you want to send money to Netherlands the next time. If you come by ongoing promotional offers you may save even more money.
International Money Transfer Offers
- 747 Feefo Reviews
WorldFirst top money transfer provider
Business money transfer specialists
Online seller support
Global multi-currency accounts
Account manager available
No more fees!
- OFFER: Guaranteed low 0.5% exchange rate margin
- 29,961 Reviews
Leading global money transfer provider
Business fund transfers
Cash pick up available
Transfer money instantly to Mobile Money accounts
Truly global money transfer provider
- OFFER: First 3 Transfers FEE FREE!