Sending money to Japan is no longer as complicated or time consuming as it was until a couple of decades ago. Now, you do not have to depend on banks or high street forex brokers to send money to Japan. Instead, you get to choose from a number of specialist overseas money transfer companies that accept customers from different parts of the world.
Transfer Money to Japan
- User Rating
- Transfer Type
- Regular Payments
- Mobile App
- Min Transfer Amount
- Two Transfers Fee Free
- 1 - 3 Days
- $250 / £100 / €250
Currency Corridors & Swift Codes
Currency Symbol and Swift Codes
The Japanese yen (JPY) is the official currency of Japan. It is commonly used as a reserve currency, and it is the world’s third most traded currency. The Japanese government’s currency intervention policy has been in place since 1973, which places the yen under a “dirty float” regime.
When sending money to a Japanese bank account, you will need to provide the receiving bank’s SWIFT code. The table below lists SWIFT codes of some popular financial institutions in Japan.
|Bank of Tokyo - Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.||Tokyo||BOTKJPJ2XXX|
|Japan Post Bank||Tokyo||JPPSJPJ1XXX|
Popular Currency Corridors
While several people send money to Japan, there are numerous instances of people sending money from Japan too. In 2016, more than U.S. $3.8 billion was sent as remittances from different countries to Japan. In the same year, over U.S. $8.8 billion made its way out of the country as remittances.
The corresponding tables give you an indication of how much money entered and left the country across its popular currency corridors in 2016. The numbers are in U.S. dollars.
How Do I Compare Companies When Sending Money to Japan?
Comparing companies when you want to send money to Japan requires that you pay attention to a few simple aspects. The same points need your attention if you plan to send money from Japan.
- Cost of the transfer. While the fee you need to pay affects the cost of your transfer, so does the exchange rate. An easy way to determine which service provider is the most cost effective is to compare how much money will get to the recipient once the transfer is complete.
- Processing time. A transfer to a Japanese bank account might take up to six working days. Factors that affect the speed of bank account transfers include your country of residence, the company you select, and the recipient’s bank. Transfers to cash pickup locations in Japan, on the other hand, tend to process in close to real time.
- Paying for the transfer. You may pay using your bank account no matter which company you select. Not all accept payments via debit and credit cards, although there are some that let you pay using region-specific methods such as ACH, SOFORT, iDEAL, and POLi.
- Customer support. Customer service levels play an important role if you plan to send money to Japan every now and again. To find out how these companies fare in the real world, turn to review-based websites such as Trustpilot and Feefo. While you can come across companies that provide over the phone support, online support via chat and email is easier to find.
How to Transfer Money to Japan?
You may begin the process of sending money to Japan in different ways.
- Online. Banks that let you send money to Japan may give you the option of initiating your transfer online. However, turning to online money transfer companies might work better for you when it comes to speed and cost effectiveness.
- Over the phone. A number of money transfer companies let their customers send money to Japan over the phone. You can even find ones that provide access to dedicated currency brokers.
- In-person. While your local bank might let you transfer money to Japan in person, compare its cost effectiveness and speed with money transfer companies that operate out of physical locations.
Work required Yuki to travel to the U.S. for two years. During his stay in the U.S., he needed to send some money to Japan each month, to cover for his family’s living expenses and existing loan repayments. Upon getting to the U.S., he compared some of the leading banks with the top overseas money transfer companies. The table below shows results of the top alternatives from both realms.
|Bank||Money Transfer Service|
|Exchange rate||$1 = JPY 104.2421||$1 = JPY 106.4611|
|Amount received for $2,500||JPY 258,520.41||JPY 266.152.75|
|Transfer time||2 to 6 days||2 to 3 days|
|Transfer options||Bank account||Bank account|
|Difference of||JPY 7,632.34|
Using the money transfer company instead of the bank turned out to be a more cost effective alternative for Yuki. The company he selected let him lock in exchange rates for up to six months, and it also let him schedule transfers ahead of time.
Cash Pickup Locations in Japan
If the recipient does not have a bank account or if you want to send money to Japan quickly, you may consider using the services of companies such as Western Union, Ria, or MoneyGram.
|Western Union in Japan|
|Tokyo Travelex Shinjuku Minamiguchi Shop, 2 10 9 Yoyogi 1F Homma Building Shibuya Ku, Tokyo||Daikokuya Shinjuku Minamiguchi Shop 2 8 5 Yoyogi 1F Shinjuku Minamiguchi Bldg, Shibuya Ku, Tokyo|
|Yokohama His Kannai 2 12 Masago Cho Naka Ku 1F Kannai Ekamae Daiichi Bldg Yokohama Shi||Wang Fujing Yokohama Yamashita Cho 92 3 Naku Ku Yokohama|
|WorldRemit in Japan|
|Tokyo City Express Japan Shin-Okubo Initial Building 2F 2-10-9 Hiyakunin-Cho Tokyo||Enremit - Shinjuku B1F Sangenya Building 2-3-23 Hyakunin-Cho Shinjuku-ku Tokyo|
|Ria in Japan|
|Tokyo Unidos Ltd (IME Malaysia) 169-0073 Tokyo-To, Shinjuku-Ku Hyakunin-Cho 2-4-8 Shinjuku, Tokyo||Unidos Ltd (IME Malaysia) 169-0073, Tokyo To, Shinjuku Ku Hyakunin 2-9-1 Twi Shinjuku, Tokyo|
Safety Tips for Picking Up Cash in Japan
Crime levels in Japan are typically low, although you should exercise due precautions. Travelling on public transport and walking around at night is typically safe. The entertainment districts of Tokyo such as Kabuki-cho and Roppongi and considered to be high risk areas, especially after dark. There have been reports of foreigners being targeted in different ways such as extortion, drink-spiking, robbery, credit card fraud, and assault.
What Information Do I Need to Transfer Money to Japan?
When sending money to Japan, the desired mode of transfer has a bearing on the information you need to provide.
- Bank account. The required information includes the recipient’s complete name, a bank account number, the receiving bank’s name, and the receiving bank’s SWIFT code.
- Cash pickup center. Other than the recipient’s complete name, you will need to provide the location of a suitable cash pickup center. When collecting the cash, the recipient will need a reference number and a valid form of photo ID.
Regulations When Transferring Money To and From Japan
The Japanese yen is a completely convertible currency, and there are no restrictions on cross-border money transfers made to or from the country. The Bank of Japan is responsible for overseeing the country’s financial institutions and payment systems, and it also works in preserving price stability. The bank has not interfered in the forex market since 2012.
While there are no restrictions on moving money in or out of the country, if you plan to invest 10% or more in a sector that has implications surrounding national security or national sovereignty, you will need approval from the country’s Ministry of Finance in advance.
There is no reason why you cannot send money to Japan in a quick and cost effective way. All you need to do is compare the top money transfer companies from your region well. For even more savings, look for ongoing promotional offers.
International Money Transfer Offers
- 747 Feefo Reviews
WorldFirst top money transfer provider
Business money transfer specialists
Online seller support
Global multi-currency accounts
Account manager available
No more fees!
- OFFER: Guaranteed low 0.5% exchange rate margin
- 29,961 Reviews
Leading global money transfer provider
Business fund transfers
Cash pick up available
Transfer money instantly to Mobile Money accounts
Truly global money transfer provider
- OFFER: First 3 Transfers FEE FREE!